Thank you from your winner – Will!

Students, teachers and fellow engineers.

williamscottjacksonI am most fortunate to be in a position where I can interact with students and teachers on a regular basis. It’s one of the things that help me roll out of bed in the mornings. The last two weeks have been an absolute blast; the sheer volume of questions coming in tells me everything I need to know about the next generation of scientists and engineers. You’re all an inquisitive bunch and will all become fantastic at what you do. I’m so very pleased that we as engineers and scientists have inspired you to pursue becoming engineers yourself; hearing many of you saying you wish to become engineers during our conversations has made it all worth it.

I’d like to thank each and every one of you that participated and voted for me; winning was the icing on an already awesome cake! However, the real winners are all of the students and teachers who have been inspired by all of the fantastic answers given by all of the engineers.

I want to congratulate and commend all of the engineers who took part from ALL zones. It’s fantastic that you all took time out of your busy lives to answer questions from curious students. It’s our responsibility as the current generation of engineers to encourage those that come after us to follow in our footsteps. The world needs engineers and will never stop needing them; it’s important that future engineers are just as passionate about it as we are. Your passion for your fields was clear as day and you really infused that enthusiasm for your field into the students. Every student that you inspired to pursue engineering as a career is a huge win; not one that should be taken lightly.

Congratulations to the winners from the other zones, you should all be very proud of yourselves and I hope that you continue to inspire many more future engineers going forward.

And finally I want to thank everyone from the ‘I’m an Engineer team’; they did a fantastic job of recruiting the engineers, facilitating the chats and keeping them peaceful and being around when anyone needed help. The moderators are awesome, thank you!

Now I’m an Engineer is over; I have no intention of stopping my work in reaching out to future engineers and help set them on the path. Just as the engineers have inspired you; I have also been inspired by all of your enthusiasm and curiosity about our work. This has inspired me to invest the prize money in a Youtube Channel. I will use the money to invest in the equipment and software necessary to start and run my own Youtube Channel and I’ve already had ideas of what I’d like to do with it. I intend on running a Youtube channel with a similar format to the old science show run by Bill Nye the Science Guy; where he demonstrated scientific principles with items you could find around the house. I want to do the same but for engineering; teach new skills and knowledge in short videos. I would also like to keep it light and do some funny videos like “Things Engineers Say…”. I also want to include the community that inspired me in the first place; the students. As such I would also do small videos answering questions like I just spent the last two weeks doing with you guys.

Thank you all once again to everyone involved and watch this space.

Will

Posted on June 30, 2015 modangela in News | Leave a comment